Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Apr 7 21:04:42 EDT 1999

Michael,

Thanks for your explanation, I think it helped to clarify your concerns to
everybody.

There have been a number of similar discussions both in the WG and in many
other IETF WGs that I have seen.

I think we are talking about what the standard will require vs. for what
environment you intend to implement your product.

The IETF always insists that its standards have to work over the worldwide
Internet and on any platform, even if they may equally well be used in a
more restricted environment such as an intranet, or for a particular
platform, which may not need all the features required by the standard.

In this case, I would expect that any product that wants to CONFORM TO THE
STANDARD actually implements the Digest Authentication feature. If you
expect that your specific customers, may not want to use Digest in their IPP
printers, you can leave it as a configuration option to deselect the use of
Digest at installation time.

Your other option is to build a product that DOES NOT CONFORM TO THE
STANDARD, and we have seen many examples of that too for other IETF
standards. That hasn't generally moved the IETF to relax their standards.