Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Apr 12 17:17:21 EDT 1999

Scott Lawrence wrote:
> The implementors (and thier product managers) always have that
> option, as do the customers.  What they don't have and shouldn't is
> control over what it means to be  an IETF standard.  Making

I've seen a lot of "standards" that have little application in the
real world simply because they don't address real-world issues.  I'm
not saying that IPP is headed this way yet, but we need to balance
the goals of IETF against those of the end-users of these standards.

To require mandatory support for N different authentication or
encryption standards will not sit well with implementors or end-users.
OTOH, if you give us a choice of options that meet the different needs
and require support for at least one of them, then I think you'll get
much more support from folks in general while still meeting the goals
set forth by the IETF.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com