kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed May 5 16:51:37 EDT 1999

Couldn't you use the same approach for "number-of-intervening-jobs"?

In reality, I suspect that most Printers will simply return the jobs in order of
submission, except that "job-hold-until" and "job-priority" should be taken into
account (along with any policy like "shortest job first").  Trying to predict
the order of completion is just too complex where a single Printer fans out to
multiple output devices.  Consider an IPP gateway to a DPA (ISO 10175) printing
system.  A typical DPA architecture would include a Print Operation Manager, a
Spooler, and a Supervisor.  The IPP Printer could be mapped to a DPA Logical
Printer.  In some configurations, a single logical printer might represent
multiple physical printers, and a single physical printer might be represented
by multiple logical printers.  Jobs submitted to the Printer go to the spooler,
which might contain multiple queues.  The supervisor(s) assign(s) jobs from the
queues to physical printers according to the capabilities and availabilities of
the physical printers.  In this scenario, it will be hard enough to predict the
order in which the jobs will start processing, let alone complete.  The IPP
logical printer will need intimate knowledge of what's going on in both the
Spooler and the Supervisor.  Of course, there may be intervening jobs that were
submitted to a different IPP logical printer, or foreign jobs submitted by other
means.

     -Carl

"Anthony Porter" <anthony.porter at computer.org> on 05/05/99 01:28:18 AM

Please respond to anthony.porter at computer.org