kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 29 16:37:10 EDT 1999

Tom wrote:
>Carl,
>
>A couple of questions on your proposed operation attributes:

If unspecified, "non-process-run-out" defaults to 'false'.

>TH2> What is the behavior if the implementation does not support this
>operation attribute?  The 'true' or the 'false' behavior?  (I hope it isn't
>implementation-dependent).
>
>snip...

Hmmm.  I don't know.  I think this might be implementation dependent.  This
attribute probably only has meaning for continuous-forms printers, if that
helps.

>3)  Add the following OPTIONAL operation attributes to the Shutdown-Printer
>request:
>"non-process-run-out" (boolean) specifies whether the printer should perform
>an
>NPRO (move the last printed sheet to the stacker) before shutting down.
>
>TH3> What is the behavior if the client omits this attribute?  The 'true' or
>the 'false' behavior?  (I hope it isn't implementation-dependent).

If unspecified, "non-process-run-out" defaults to 'false'.

>TH4> What is the behavior if the implementation does not support this
>operation attribute?  The 'true' or the 'false' behavior?  (I hope it isn't
>implementation-dependent).

I would guess that if the implementation doesn't support his attribute it would
mean that it has no need for it, presumably because it always flushes the end of
the last job.  This would be the case for all printers except continuous-forms
printers, right?  Then, the behavior would be equivalent to
"non-process-run-out" == 'true'.

>"synchronize" (boolean) specifies whether to synchronize the checkpoint data
>for
>the current job with the pages that have actually printed.  If this
>attribute is
>supported, a value of true implies that the Printer will be able to resume
>the
>job at the point of synchronization when restarted.
>
>TH5> What is the behavior if the client omits this attribute?  The 'true' or
>the 'false' behavior?  (I hope it isn't implementation-dependent).

If unspecified, "synchronize" defaults to 'false'.

>TH6> What is the behavior if the implementation does not support this
>operation attribute?  The 'true' or the 'false' behavior?  (I hope it isn't
>implementation-dependent).

If the implementation doesn't support the attribute, it probably doesn't support
the behavior, either.  Therefore, 'false'.