Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Apr 28 11:42:20 EDT 1999

There is a problem with the IPP Printer depending on any IPP client for the
time.  A malicious user could spoof the date and time by sending in an
incorrect date and time.  Since there are quite a number of methods, perhaps
it would be better to keep them in the Implementer's Guide and just
reference the IIG.  So I suggest simplifying the paragraph being added to
"printer-current-time" as follows:

An implementation MAY support this attribute by obtaining the date and time
by any number of implementation-dependent means at startup or subsequently.
See [ipp-iig] for examples. If an implementation supports this attribute by
obtaining the current time from the network (at startup or later), but the
time is not available, then the implementation MUST return the value of this
attribute using the out-of-band 'no-value' meaning not configured.  See the
beginning of section 4.1.

Tom