kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 29 19:24:36 EDT 1999

While we're at it, should we add a new Pause-Job operation along with the rest?  This is one that has been mentioned as far back as 1997 as a candidate Job control op.  I'd bet it's also in DPA Part 3 as a variant of "pdpause".

It is also hinted at in the current model doc:  "Note:  In order to keep the Hold-Job operation simple, such a request is rejected when the job is in the 'processing' or 'processing-stopped' states.  If an operation is needed to hold jobs while in these states, it will be added as an additional operation, rather than overloading the Hold-Job operation."  The primary difference between Pause-Job and Hold-Job would be that Pause-Job be applied to a Job in 'processing' state.  Example usage:  for interrupting a Job with a large number of copies in order to let a high-priority Job play through.

    -Carl