kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 18 12:38:23 EDT 2000

Tom wrote:
>>For the Redirect-Job, the "redirection-printers-supported" Printer
>Attribute
>>is all that is necessary for a Printer to indicate to which other
Printers
>>it is willing to redirect output.  We don't need to introduce a Server
>>object to help with the simple Redirect-Job that redirects jobs among
>>Printers on the same server.
>>
>Then I don't think you need to introduce a little 's' "server", either.
>It's an implementation detail whether or not the
>"redirection-printers-supported" are on the same server.  You only need to
>specify the protocol.  If an implementation can meet the spec, it doesn't
>matter how it does it.  You don't need to specify an architecture
involving
>a "server".  (If there is a reason that "server" is important, then I'm
>still not getting it.)
>
>TH> I think you are getting it.  We don't need to introduce the concept of
>"server" at all for Redirect-Job.  All that is necessary is that a Printer
>(object) be able to enumerate the Printers to which it is willing to
>redirect a job.  A Printer indicates this list in the values of its
>"redirection-printers-supported".

This then brings us back around to my original point, which is that this
wording in the spec is too restrictive:

> This operation is limited to redirecting a job to another
> Printer on the same server.

For example, in our case, we should be able to redirect a Job to any
Printer on a server that's in the same "namespace" (or "cell"), even though
a namespace may contain multiple servers.

     -Carl