Carl carl at manros.com
Tue Jun 11 00:48:17 EDT 2002

Fowarded message from Ned Freed

Carl-Uno Manros
10701 S Eastern Ave #1117
Henderson, NV 89052, USA
Tel +1-702-617-9414
Fax +1-702-617-9417
Mob +1-310-251-7103
Email carl at manros.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ipp at pwg.org [mailto:owner-ipp at pwg.org]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 8:09 PM
To: ipp-approval at pwg.org
Subject: BOUNCE ipp at pwg.org: Non-member submission from
[ned.freed at mrochek.com]

Subject: Re: IPP> Storing capabilities as single text string
To: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
Cc: "'ifx at pwg.org'" <ifx at pwg.org>, "'ipp at pwg.org'" <ipp at pwg.org>

> Hi folks,

> Below is an excerpt from Ned Freed (IETF Applications Area Director)
> comments on ESMTP extensions for CONNEG from the IETF Internet FAX WG
> <draft-ietf-fax-esmtp-conneg-01.txt>:

> "...Although several examples of returned capabilities are shown, the
document
> isn't very specific about how capabilities have to be formatted. In
particular,
> I'd expect to see capabilities often stored as a single string without any
line
> breaks. Some advice on how to take such a string and format it for
inclusion in
> the reponse seems warranted."

> Note Ned's preference fill a flat string without newline characters.

Er, that wasn't my preference. I simply note that content capabilities
can and will be stored as a long string without any line breaks.

> Advice
> worth considering (although the IPP string length of 1024 would be
> problematic
> here...).

And since protocol limits may be incompatible with what's stored some
formatting may be necessary to return what's stored in a legitimate way.
The document needs to talk about how this is done or it is likely not to
be done correctly.

				Ned