Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Aug 28 08:11:55 EDT 2002

Robert Herriot wrote:
> Michael Sweet has said that his software does not support redirection (I
> assume this includes the client and server). If most printer vendors
> were finding redirection a necessity, would he reconsider his position
> for clients?

Actually, what I said was that CUPS wouldn't use redirection, since
the CUPS server already has the resources to handle hundreds (and
in some configurations, thousands) of simultaneous connections.

That doesn't mean that we wouldn't support redirect in our clients,
but thus far none of the core CUPS release will even use IPPGET
(aside from the test suite) - that's more an issue for ESP Print
Pro, and it will be communicating with CUPS servers exclusively...

So, basically I *don't care* if redirect is in the spec or not;
it's optional in the server, and we just don't need to implement
it for the CUPS server.

My only concern is how the redirect/optimal stuff will affect
getting this stuff through the IETF - if the current spec will
have problems just because of the redirect, then I vote to
remove it for now - we can always update the IETF spec or
create a PWG extension to the IETF spec that explains how to
do redirection in IPP (and if we want a general-purpose solution
for this, then that would almost make more sense...)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com