[IPP] Re: Initial draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter (28 February 2010)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 1 23:19:27 UTC 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for all these comments - I just skimmed them.
>
> But, if we want (and we had concensus) to get the "low
> hanging fruit first" in IPP Everywhere, then we certainly
> want 2 or more conformance levels eventually - therefore,
> we need to start that way.

I don't think we've been talking about multiple conformance levels, but rather regular updates (as needed) for a single conformance level that reflects the current state of the art.

> And while we could roll these together, I suspect that
> the correct solution to Printer MIB visibility is the original
> proposal in late 1990's - to whit, a first-class Device
> object - way too much different content to bury in one
> IPP Job spec that's partly profiles of discovery and
> document format requirements.

A separate semantic model document could handle defining the device object, and then the IPP Everywhere spec can reference it and say "this is how we map it to IPP"...

> IPP/2.0 does NOT define any attributes or operations.

Right, but this is IPP Everywhere, not IPP/2.0.

> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> winter:
>  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>  734-944-0094
> summer:
>  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>  906-494-2434
>

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just posted an Initial working draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter
>> for review tomorrow during our IPP WG teleconference at:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippeverywhere-charter-20100228.pdf / doc
>> - with line numbers and all proposed milestone dates
>>
>> The content is derived from Mike's IPP Everywhere BOF slides at our
>> recent PWG face-to-face meeting on 10 February 2010.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Ira (IPP co-editor)
>>
>> Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
>> Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
>> Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
>> IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
>> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
>> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
>> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
>> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com