[IPP] IPP Scan - Is Push scanning mandatory?

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Thu Feb 13 13:06:35 UTC 2014

All,

I am pushing hard for discovery of push capability because it is an absolute requirement in the enterprise environment.  If there is consensus that it is such a burden, then we can make it optional instead of conditionally mandatory.  I think the opposition to the text discovery text record is the minority.  If I am wrong I'd like to hear from others.

The exact nature of Xerox's use cases is beyond the scope of public discussion other than to reiterate that we have a business need for scanned documents to be delivered directly from the scan service to the scan destination and not allowing the scan client to act as an intermediary.  Xerox would have no problem with Push being mandatory but we realize for the low end it may be a burden.  We would have no problem allowing Push or Pull or both, but realize that the PWG wants to insure some level of guaranteed interoperability so we support making Pull mandatory.

Xerox requests that Push be optional but want the feature discoverable.

Remote copy is not creating a copy like service using scan.  It is a marketing term for scan to print where the scanner and  printer are geographically separate. (As you may recall I was vehemently opposed to modeling copy as scan to print.)  I do not consider scan to email an edge case given it is already supported by every MFD vendor in the PWG.  The use of an IPP Scan client on a mobile device does not equate to the mobile device being the recipient of the scanned document.  There are other capabilities that the mobile device brings such as all the personalized information (e.g., contacts) and superior UI.  Capabilities like those as well as the current movement from PCs to mobile make implementing an IPP Scan Client on a mobile device desirable.

It is my preference to have a text record that is a comma separated list of schemes as described below (i.e. conditionally mandatory).

Key

Description

push

A comma separated list using the following keywords: http, https, ftp, ftps, smb, ipp, ipps, mailto.  Vendors may extend the set of values.

Push scan is not supported

Please voice your support or opposition.

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com<mailto:Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com>
Office: +1 (585) 265-8755
Mobile: +1 (585) 329-9508
FAX: +1 (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler