[IPP] A few points of feedback on "IPP over HTTPS and 'ipps' URI Scheme" draft 9

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 28 16:47:34 UTC 2014

Ira,

On Feb 28, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
> (4) In a standards-track RFC for "ipps:" we aren't allowed to put an annex
> with code fragments - but such guidance could be published by the PWG.

I think we could get away with a short mention of CUPS with an informative reference to the CUPS web site (https://www.cups.org/); include it in the security considerations - since IPP and IPPS use the same port, the IPP Server/Printer needs to determine whether the initial request data is a TLS ClientHello or a HTTP request, strategies for doing so, and a pointer to an existing implementation (CUPS).

(FWIW, all CUPS does is check whether the initial bytes look like a DELETE, GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, POST, PUT, or TRACE request.  If not, we let the TLS library validate the ClientHello)