[IPP] Errata for PWG 5107.3: Printer MIB and IPP MFD Alerts

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 17 18:07:57 UTC 2014

All,

It was recently pointed out to me that PWG 5107.3 defines several "printer-state-reasons" keywords with the suffix "-error":

    input-media-tray-feed-error
    output-media-tray-feed-error
    media-path-input-feed-error
    media-path-output-feed-error
    scan-media-path-input-feed-error
    scan-media-path-output-feed-error
    fax-modem-protocol-error

However, RFC 2911 reserves this suffix for indicating the severity of the reason:

   4.4.12 printer-state-reasons (1setOf type2 keyword)

   This REQUIRED Printer attribute supplies additional detail about the
   device's state.  Some of the these value definitions indicate
   conformance requirements; the rest are OPTIONAL.

   Each keyword value MAY have a suffix to indicate its level of
   severity.  The three levels are: report (least severe), warning, and
   error (most severe).

      - '-report':  This suffix indicates that the reason is a "report".
        An implementation may choose to omit some or all reports. Some
        reports specify finer granularity about the printer state;
        others serve as a precursor to a warning. A report MUST contain
        nothing that could affect the printed output.
      - '-warning': This suffix indicates that the reason is a
        "warning".  An implementation may choose to omit some or all
        warnings. Warnings serve as a precursor to an error. A warning
        MUST contain nothing that prevents a job from completing, though
        in some cases the output may be of lower quality.
      - '-error': This suffix indicates that the reason is an "error".
        An implementation MUST include all errors. If this attribute
        contains one or more errors, printer MUST be in the stopped
        state.

   If the implementation does not add any one of the three suffixes, all
   parties MUST assume that the reason is an "error".

Since an IPP Printer MAY report any of the above keywords when the Printer is not in the stopped state, I propose we add an informative note to table 3 saying something like the following:

    Note 1: Section 4.4.12 [RFC2911] requires that the Printer is in the
    stopped state when reporting "printer-state-reasons" values ending
    with "-error". Printers MUST append a suffix of "-report" or
    "warning" to this keyword when the Printer is not in the stopped
    state.

I'm not sure if we want to clarify that the "job-state-reasons" attribute only contains the registered values without added suffixes.