[IPP] WG Last Call of IPP Scan Service specification

Soma Meiyappan Soma.Meiyappan at conexant.com
Wed May 14 02:34:07 UTC 2014

Hi Pete et al,

I have a concern about

printer-config-change-date-time

printer-state-change-date-time

These attributes figure in the REQUIRED table in section 4.3. The above attributes require the scan device to have a notion of wall clock time (whether it is accurate or not to the global wall clock time). To increase the chances of making use of that effectively & correctly, all clients would be required to use this somehow in reference to printer-current-time and not to the wall-clock time that the client might know through other sources. That makes me wonder if it is sufficient to have printer-state-change-time and printer-config-change-time as required and make xxxx-date-time as optional.

I have a similar question on FaxOut; but at least on FaxOut, the devices are expected to have a notion of wall-clock time although the point about how clients should use that information with reference to printer-current-time still seems applicable.

Regards,
Somasundaram.