[IPP] New stable draft of IPP Finishings 2.1 available for review

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Tue Oct 4 17:32:21 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

> On 2016-10-01, at 5:08 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Smith,
>
> One comment inline, we can talk more on the Wednesday concall...
>
>> On Sep 27, 2016, at 12:59 AM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>>
>> * Added a comment to section 5.3 "job-pages-per-set" asking for a description of how "job-pages-per-set" would work in the case where the Job contains multiple Documents.
>
> This is defined by the "multiple-document-handling" attribute, just as for the rest of the Job Template attributes.
>
> Conceptually we want to have a "pages-per-set" Document Template attribute, although I suspect that it would not see much use - "job-pages-per-set" is for things like PWG Raster Format where the Client is providing its own copies/sets to the Printer (multiple documents merged at the Client) rather than sending a high-level format (PDF) and asking the Printer to produce multiple sets/copies.  Printers sophisticated enough to support the Document object are probably going to support PDF...
>
> (so maybe we can just reference the section on "multiple-document-handling" in RFC2911bis and say why there is no equivalent Document Template attribute?)

I started adding some text, and then it occurred to me that the value of "job-pages-per-set" has to be, or ought to be, an exact multiple of the total number of pages in the Job. I updated it thus:
The RECOMMENDED "job-pages-per-set" Job Template attribute specifies the number of input pages that constitute a set for finishing processes.  The value of "job-pages-per-set" must be a multiple of the total number of pages of all Documents in the Job. For example, if a Client submits a 14 page PWG Raster Format [PWG5102.4] Document for printing that actually contains two copies of four duplex pages each, the Client could specify a "job-pages-per-set" Job Template attribute with a value of 7, a "sides" attribute with a value of 'two-sided-long-edge', and a "finishings" attribute with a value of 4 (staple) to have the Printer staple two Sets of four sheets. Figure 4 shows a graphical representation of this example.

That sentence I added makes clear how the pages taken from one or more Documents in a Job relate to the value found in this attribute, assuming there isn't some way that finishings could be set per-document in a Job. (Hoping that isn't possible...)