[IPP] PDF Raster and IPP Scan

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Sep 6 14:00:28 UTC 2017

Bill,

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 12:44 AM, wamwagner at comcast.net wrote:
>
> Mike,
> OK. Then you are saying that a scanner implementing PDF/Raster satisfies the IPP Scan requirement that  “Scan Services MUST support generating Documents conforming to Document management — Portable document format — Part 1: PDF 1.7 [ISO32000] " ? In that case, one wonders why TWAIN /PDF would bother generating a new spec.
> Thanks, BillW.

PWG Raster is a raster-only subset of PDF 1.7/ISO 32000-1.  A program that can consume PDF 1.7 can consume PDF Raster, but the reverse is not necessarily true since PDF 1.7 includes other things like text, vector graphics, etc.

(now, I can't answer the "why" for why they didn't just adopt PDF/is, but perhaps they just were not aware of it...)