[IPP] Canonical IPP way to set job-sheets to a different paper/tray/medium?

pipitas pipitas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 22:17:53 UTC 2018

What is the canonical IPP-ish way to request printing of a job-sheet on
different media (or media drawn from a different paper tray)?

I remember many years ago to have hacked some PostScript files for a big
institutional customer who required red separator sheets because thousands
of their students shared a few dozen "public" printers: I then equipped the
PostScript/banner files with some 'setpagedevice' statements, saved them to
/usr/share/cups/banners/ and, presto, whenever such a sheet was requested
it printed from the paper tray specified by setpagedevice.

Is there an IPP-defined job attribute that lets me order job-sheets to be
printed on a specific medium?

Now that modern CUPS doesn't by default use banners/job-sheets any more
which are PostScript files, what is another valid way to do achieve this
with PDF files (or even with application/vnd.cups-banner files)?