[IPP] WG Last Call: IPP Authentication Methods

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Feb 28 23:44:37 UTC 2019

> On Feb 28, 2019, at 3:50 PM, wamwagner at comcast.net wrote:
>
> Smith,
>
> Sorry, my confusion continues. Your new Authorization example may be valid, but it seems odd to me that someone would have an account in a printer but not have authority to print at all. Conditional authority, restricting use to certain times or restricting color, or quantity, etc. would be more realistic, but that is at the IPP level and does not appear to be addressed in this specification.

I think it is insofar as the authentication and/or authorization failures are reported back via IPP or its HTTP or TLS transports. I have updated sequence diagrams that indicate this visually. But here's an updated use case that might satisfy your request for an exception use case that more accurately illustrates a real world circumstance.

Harry is an intern who works at Andy's office, and he wants to print some photos from his laptop. He uses his laptop to discover available printers, and selects one listed. The printer is configured to limit access to color printing to only authorized users, and interns are not authorized to use this feature. His laptop is using an older client that doesn't support the IPP Get-User-Printer-Attributes operation, so features that he isn't allowed to use will be listed in the print dialog. Harry makes his choices in the print dialog, including selecting printing in color. Harry clicks "Print" to submit the job to the printer.

The printer challenges the laptop for authentication, and the laptop presents an authentication dialog to Harry. Harry enters his account's username and password. The printer accepts these credentials, but that account is not authorized to use the color printing feature. The printer rejects the job with the explanation that some features are not allowed, and lists the barred feature. Harry is a bit disappointed that the user experience is a bit awkward***, and is also disappointed that he cannot print in color. He abandons trying to print the photos because he doesn't want black-and-white prints.

***  (The user experience would be better with Get-User-Printer-Attributes because the color printing feature wouldn't even be shown to the user.)

Here's another one that uses Get-User-Printer-Attributes

Harry is an intern who works at Andy's office, and he wants to print some photos from his laptop. He uses his laptop to discover available printers, and selects one listed. The printer is configured to limit access to color printing to only authorized users, and interns are not authorized to use this feature. His laptop has a modern IPP Client that supports the IPP Get-User-Printer-Attributes operation, so features that he isn't allowed to use will not be listed in the print dialog.

When he selects the printer, the laptop sends the Get-User-Printer-Attributes IPP operation to request the list of authorized features available to Harry's account. The printer responds to the laptop with an authentication challenge. The laptop has stored single sign-on credentials, so it uses those to avoid bothering its user with a distraction. The printer accepts these credentials, and provides the list of features his account is authorized to use. The laptop shows this set of features. Harry is disappointed that he cannot print in color, so he abandons trying to print the photos because he doesn't want black-and-white prints.

Does either of these clarify things?

> The title is Authentication  Methods, and although I may have missed it, I do not think that it does much with authorization (at least not by the printer), which would occur after successful Authentication. Perhaps the Authorization  use case should  be put in the out of scope section?

I think authorization drives the demand for authentication. Hopefully the updated use cases above, combined with the new sequence diagrams, will help make that more clear. The original goal of this paper was to talk about how the various authentication methods corresponding to the keywords for "uri-authentication-supported" could integrate into a print workflow, which is an unconventional user experience if you only think of web authentication involving web browsers.