[IPP] IPP Enterprise Printing Extensions: Feature Names and Job Types

Willem Groenewald willem.groenewald at papercut.com
Sun Jan 5 23:36:22 UTC 2020

Hi Smith

Apologies for the delay, just returned from leave.

Here are a few comments on the naming (probably more "thoughts" to spark
some thinking):

1) The use-cases and flows around "Password Protected Job" and "User
Credential Protected Job" are very similar.  The names should be related.
 e.g. both are "release" and path "protect" the job.  It's the means of
protection that are changing.  Hence we'd recommend having very similar
names.  If you're keen to add the word "release", we'd suggest making sure
this also exists on the password protected job too.

2) We've taken a look at the draft of the Enterprise Printing Extensions
v2.0 w.r.t these mentioned features, and would love an opportunity to dive
a little deeper around security. Some immediate thoughts from a quick look,
that may or may not have been considerer, are:

   - The use of hashing methods that are no longer considered "secure".
   Would it make sense for a standard released in 2020 include these as
   options?
   - Requiring these features to be available over TLS connections
   - Have downgrade (or reply) attacks been considered?

Cheers,

Chris & Bez in the PaperCut Dev Team (plus now Willem)

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 at 04:12, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) via
ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm in the process of producing a new draft of IPP Enterprise Printing
> Extensions v2.0 (EPX) and I'm trying to nail down the "feature names" and
> "job types" for the several features defined therein.
>
> What I have thus far is this:
>
> Job Password
>         • Feature: Password Job Protection
>         • Job Type: Password Protected Job
>         • Use Case: Protecting a Job with a Password
>
> Job Storage
>         • Feature: Job Storage
>         • Job Type: Stored Job
>         • Use Case: Storing a Job for Later Reprinting, Reprinting a
> Stored Job
>
> Proof Print
>         • Feature: Proof Print
>         • Job Type: Proof Job
>         • Use Case: Proof Printing
>
> Authenticated Release
>         • Feature: Authenticated Release? Credential Job Protection?
>         • Job Type: User Credential Protected Job?
>         • Use Case: Protecting a Job with User Authentication Credentials
>
> Any feedback on any of these labels? Thanks for any help!
>
> Smith
>
> /**
>     Smith Kennedy
>     HP Inc.
> */

*Willem Groenewald*
Product Owner
<http://www.papercut.com/>
mob:  +61 439 584 646
web:    www.papercut.com

<https://twitter.com/papercutdev>   <https://facebook.com/papercutsoftware>
   <http://www.linkedin.com/company/papercut-software>
<https://google.com/+PaperCutSoftware>
<https://youtube.com/papercutsoftware>

Please consider the environment before printing this email... or install
PaperCut and let it do the considering for you!