[IPP] pwg-5100.13 section 5.6.39 printer-supply encoding

Rizzo, Christopher Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com
Thu May 7 22:27:04 UTC 2020

Table 9 has optional printer-supply (1setOf octetString(MAX)) keywords.

Some supplies have colorants, others have colorantIndex = 0 ("this supply does not depend on a single specified colorant").

Must each entry in the set of octetStrings contain the same SNMP Supply Objects (matching cardinality), or can colorant objects be present in an octetString for those supplies that have a colorant, but not present in an octetString for those supplies that do not have a colorant?

For example, must we do this:

// Black toner.

printer-supply[1] =

type=toner;maxcapacity=100;level=75;index=1;markerindex=1;

class=supplyThatIsConsumed;unit=percent;

colorantindex=1;colorantrole=process;colorantname=black;

coloranttonality=256;

// Fuser does not have concept of colorant.

printer-supply[2] =

type=fuser;maxcapacity=100;level=96;index=2;markerindex=1;

class=supplyThatIsConsumed;unit=percent;

colorantindex=0;colorantrole=???;colorantname=???;

coloranttonality=???;

Or should we do this (is it legal to have colorant entries for some supplies, but not have colorant entries for others in the set (non-matching cardinality)?):

// Black toner.

printer-supply[1] =

type=toner;maxcapacity=100;level=75;index=1;markerindex=1;

class=supplyThatIsConsumed;unit=percent;

colorantindex=1;colorantrole=process;colorantname=black;

coloranttonality=256;

// Fuser does not have concept of colorant.

printer-supply[2] =

type=fuser;maxcapacity=100;level=96;index=2;markerindex=1;

class=supplyThatIsConsumed;unit=percent;colorantname=unknown;

And since colorantname is REQUIRED, what value should it have for a supply that is not associated with any colorant (unknown or other appear to be the only available values in RFC3805)?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Rizzo
Xerox Corporation
GDG/Discovery/Advance Technology
26600 SW Parkway Ave.
Wilsonville, OR 97070-9251
Phone: (585) 314-6936
Email: Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com

"The realization came over me with full force that a good part of the remainder of my life was going to be spent in finding errors in my own programs."
-Maurice Wilkes, Memoirs of a Computer Pioneer