[IPP] What does staple-top-left actually mean?

Rizzo, Christopher Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com
Thu Aug 27 17:42:02 UTC 2020

Thank you Smith.

I should have traversed the entire Finishings document with a "finishings" search. I must not have done that.  I did a search for "staple-top-left" and "staple" but must have gone thru it too fast and missed the critical paragraph.  My bad for trying to find it too "fast".

Sometimes trying to figure out where finishings go is like playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey, I get spun around and have to figure out how things are oriented.

But after reading Finishings 5.1 and RFC 8011 5.2.6, I think these are the best and easiest explanations possible.  As Uli pointed out, there are lots of orientation and mixed document and physical limitations issues, but I think if top-left refers to top-left of media viewed in portrait orientation, that makes perfect sense, even in a mixed orientation job.

Thanks again!
Chris

Christopher Rizzo
Xerox Corporation
GDG/Discovery/Advance Technology
26600 SW Parkway Ave.
Wilsonville, OR 97070-9251
Phone: (585) 314-6936
Email: Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com

"The realization came over me with full force that a good part of the remainder of my life was going to be spent in finding errors in my own programs."
-Maurice Wilkes, Memoirs of a Computer Pioneer