[IPP] Questions on Microsoft Universal Print

Al Soto Al.Soto at efi.com
Thu Oct 15 21:12:42 UTC 2020

MS is using the Mopria spec.

From: ipp <ipp-bounces at pwg.org>
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM
To: PWG IPP WG Reflector <ipp at pwg.org>
Subject: [IPP] Questions on Microsoft Universal Print
[EXTERNAL]
I guess I am a little behind, but just came across  Microsoft Universal Print. Although it appears limited to those using Microsoft Subscription Services, and is presented as a Azure capability developed by Microsoft,  documentation does show the user computer to Cloud communication as using “Standard IPP Protocol” and the Cloud to Device communication as using “IPP Infrastructure Protocol”.  I see no further mention of IPP.  The information suggests that few printers support Universal Print but that there  a “Print Connector” which looks like it may be an IPP proxy.
Without violating confidential information, is this indeed an IPP implementation bound in a proprietary context?
Thanks,
Bill Wagner
Confidentiality notice: This message may contain confidential information. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not that person, you should not use this message. We request that you notify us by replying to this message, and then delete all copies including any contained in your reply. Thank you.