[IPP] Question about "printer-finisher-supplies" in IPP Finishings 2.2

Steven Young syoung at ciis.canon.com
Mon Nov 16 20:16:01 UTC 2020

Hi, Smith,

I have a question from our Firmware Engineer at Canon Inc. regarding "printer-finisher-supplies".

In 6.18.1 "Keywords for printer-finisher" Notes:1 (page 48, Line 1480), it says "If "printer-finisher-supplies" is implemented, then finDeviceIndex is REQUIRED."

  *   Question: Does it mean that the implementation of finDeviceIndex attribute, which is an attribute of Finishing MIB, is required when IPP "printer-finisher-supplies" is implemented? Some EP products have finishers but do not support the Finishing MIB.

Also, in 6.20.1 Keywords for printer-finisher-supplies" Notes:2, it says "finSupplyDeviceIndex is REQUIRED in "printer-finisher-supplies" because a connection between the supply and the finisher is needed if User / Operator engagement is required for resolving a supply level condition."

  *   Question: Some finishes do not have a Supply. For example, a stapleless stapler that does not use staplers. In this case, it does not appear in the Index because it does not have a finSupply.

Regards,

Steven