[IPP] Registered media-type values

Rizzo, Christopher Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com
Fri Nov 20 18:00:38 UTC 2020

Dear PWG,

PWG 5100.3 section 3.13.2 documents keyword values for media-type.  However, this list is incomplete for what our products need to report (for example, differentiation between photo-glossy vs. photo-matte, recycled paper, heavy cardstock vs. light cardstock, pre-punched etc.)

RFC 8011 leads me to the IANA IPP registry, which leads me to PWG 5100.7, which leads me to PWG 5101.1, which leads me to a list that does not intersect with the list in PWG 5100.3.

The document makes reference to RFC2534 for a registry of other types.  Where is this registry and how do I access it?  Is this separate from the IANA IPP registry?  And if the registered keywords are not sufficient are we forced to implement all media-type-xxx as name(MAX) instead of type3 keyword?

Going further, how does one go about registering new media-type keyword values?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Rizzo
Xerox Corporation
GDG/Discovery/Advance Technology
Phone: (585) 314-6936
Email: Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com

"The realization came over me with full force that a good part of the remainder of my life was going to be spent in finding errors in my own programs."
-Maurice Wilkes, Memoirs of a Computer Pioneer