[IPP] RFC: Add "printer-serial-number (text(255))" to NODRIVER

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Tue Dec 1 13:47:40 UTC 2020

All,

I was looking for a place to report a printer's hardware serial number and noticed that we never defined one for an IPP Printer object, just the System object (where it is OPTIONAL).

I propose we add this to NODRIVER.  Based on the text in the IPP System Service specification this would look something like the following:

6.7.N printer-serial-number (text(255))

This RECOMMENDED attribute provides the serial number for the Printer and is semantically equivalent to the prtGeneralSerialNumber element defined in [RFC3805].

I'm proposing this as RECOMMENDED since a) why define it if we don't want it implemented, and b) because not every Printer is backed by a hardware output device and so won't necessarily have a serial number to report.

This sort of information is commonly available via printer drivers/utilities (for support purposes) and so it fits with the focus of NODRIVER.

Thoughts?

Michael Sweet