[IPP] New Version Notification for draft-sweet-iot-acme-05.txt

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Fri Feb 2 18:17:00 UTC 2024

Smith,

> On Feb 2, 2024, at 12:10 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I don' know if you saw that RFC 9526 "Simple Provisioning of Public Names for Residential Networks"  was recently published and whether that RFC change anything WRT ACME IOT?

No, I didn't see this had gotten published, but it is solving a completely different problem...

IoT-ACME is about establishing trust for private services, while HomeNet's Public Naming stuff is about making private service accessible over the Internet.  Presumably a HomeNet service will have a public address and FQDN, so normal ACME can be used for the public name and address but *not* for mDNS hostnames or private IP addresses, at least for Let's Encrypt...  The local/private names and addresses will need a local ACME service to issue a separate certificate.