[IPP] Question re: RFC 8011 Section 7.2 Attribute Extensibility

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Sat Feb 10 20:00:10 UTC 2024

Hi Mike and Chris,

Since this is a convention and not something that is normatively defined or validated, I suppose the vendor can do what it wants.

But what about the "xxx-supported" / "xxx-default" attributes that correspond to the member attributes in the collection?

If at HP I define:

smi11-whatever-col (collection)
  whatever-number (integer)
  whatever-type (type2 keyword)

so that I can make:

smi11-whatever-col = {
  whatever-number = 42
  whatever-type = whale
}

there could likely be these accompanying attribute definitions:

whatever-number-supported (rangeOfInteger)
whatever-number-default (integer)
whatever-type-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)
whatever-type-default (type2 keyword)

Is that how we want this to be? Or would it be better like so:

smi11-whatever-col (collection)
  smi11-whatever-number (integer)
  smi11-whatever-type (type2 keyword)

and then

smi11-whatever-number-supported (rangeOfInteger)
smi11-whatever-number-default (integer)
smi11-whatever-type-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)
smi11-whatever-type-default (type2 keyword)

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    HP Inc.