[IPP] IPP Wi-Fi Configuration Extensions v1.0

Benjamin Gordon bmgordon at chromium.org
Fri Feb 16 18:04:22 UTC 2024

I read through this and had a couple of quick thoughts:

1. On page 7, step 4 uses a different verb tense from the other steps.

2.  This specifically talks about IPP-USB.  A lot of printers
broadcast some kind of initial setup SSID when they're first plugged
in.  Does it make sense to allow this mechanism when connected to that
SSID as well?  This would be an improvement in convenience for the
user, especially in cases where they might not be planning to put the
printer within USB range of a computer.

Obviously it's not as secure as being physically plugged into the
printer, but in most home networks, the window where an attacker is
going to come connect a new printer to a rogue network is going to be
small.  Since that SSID is specifically used for setting up the
printer, an attacker could potentially just connect to it and set up
the printer anyway.

Does this deserve some discussion in the document, either as a
possible implementation or as a reason why it's a bad idea?

Thanks,
Benjamin