[IPP] IPP usage for label printers

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Sat Feb 24 17:04:21 UTC 2024

Robin,

> On Feb 24, 2024, at 10:51 AM, Robin Lindner via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I have heard a lot of positive things about IPP and have also worked with it.
>
> One topic for which I have not yet found a solution is label printers.
> With label printers, such as those from Citizen, Zebra, Printronix and other brands, I see very little use of IPP and the maximum that can be transferred here is ZPL or PCL data records.
> PDF support is almost never available here.

Zebra has recently released a pair of AirPrint (IPP) label printers, and other SOHO label printer brands (Rollo, Munbyn, Brother) have provided AirPrint/IPP support for several years now.  The Rollo printer supports PDF, and I believe the Zebras have that as an option (not sure - many of their higher end printers do...)  All of these printers support a common stream raster format (Apple Raster aka URF) and some support PWG Raster (for IPP Everywhere support), in addition to printer-specific languages like ZPL.

> There are label printers that support special features such as the transfer of RFID data for label printers that write to an RFID transponder during the printing process.
>
> Have any of you already worked with IPP in this context and what challenges have you experienced and how did you solve them?

We currently don't have an extension for writing RFID tags.  A related feature would be MICR encoding for check printing...  I foresee some challenges but nothing that would prevent us from adding an extension if printer vendors wanted it...