[MFD] Concerns with new PJT spec

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Thu Jan 19 13:27:56 UTC 2012

Mike & Glen,

I disagree.  I think the mapping to XML would put the DocumentPassword in the DocumentProcessing group.  It is clearly an element that must be applied during the processing of a document in order to print it.  It will also be applicable to other services such as Scan.  DocumentPassword needs to be kept around from job submission until job processing.  The DocumentPassword and its value would be passed and stored in the Job Ticket.  Since the password is not encrypted the protocol binding would require that a ticket containing DocumentPassword MUST be rejected unless that request is sent over a secure channel.  Furthermore once at the printer the DocumentPassword would be a protected element and MUST NOT be returned in any response.  I used thebase64 data type for DocumentPassword to keep it XML safe.  This is the same data type mapping I used for other elements with a data type of OctetStrings.  The length, in XML, should be 1366 and a note included stating that a length of 1366 in Base64 is equivalent to 1024 unencoded octets.

I had originally thought that DocumentPassword would be handled the same as JobPassword.  I just copied the definition.  Since the DocumentPassword is not encrypted there is no associated DocumentPasswordEncryption.  I do need to add the same length limitation to JobPassword except the length would be 340 for 255 octets.

DocumentPassword

No

Base64Binary

1:1366

1

[JPS3] §5.1.2

Specifies the unencrypted passphrase to be used to access the document content.  (DocumentPassword length maximum is 1024 octets before encoding)

JobPassword

No

Base64Binary

1:340

2

[PWG5100.11] §6.1

Password supplied by the client, encrypted according to method specified by the client in the JobPasswordEncryption Element. (JobPassword length maximum is 255 octets before encoding)

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com <mailto:Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com>
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.