[MFD] Question: What is FontNameRequested really representing

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Thu Jan 19 16:04:35 UTC 2012

Anyone,

I seem to be missing the meaning of FontNameRequested.  The PJT (and
5100.11/7.2) specification states it as:

"Specifies the name of the font if the document data is in a format that
does not have inherent font information (e.g., 'text/plain'), otherwise,
this element is ignored."

And

"The OPTIONAL "font-name" Job Template enables an IPP client to specify
what default font name the printer MUST use to print a job if the
document data is in a format that does not have inherent font
information (e.g., 'text/plain')."

I don't think of Font Name as text/plain; I think of Arial, Courier,
Times New Roman as Font Names.   I believe the """Font Name""" is
supposed to be based on IANA MIME Media Types.  For example
'text/plain'.   I am not sure "media type" is correct either but I
believe IANA is using it to mean "content type" or "format type"

So is PJT FontNameRequested really ContentTypeNameRequested or
FormatTypeNameRequested?   I am not suggesting any specification changes
to the name or definition; I am just trying to understand what it really
represents.

Can FontNameRequested be 'image/jpeg'?

Can FontNameRequested be 'test/rtf'?

Can FontNameRequested be 'text/html'?