[MFD] Meeting Minutes: IEEE/ISTO - PWG/Semantic Model Working Group, 1 July 2013

Paul Tykodi ptykodi at tykodi.com
Wed Jul 3 21:22:53 UTC 2013

Hi Mike,

I agree that we shouldn't keep standards around longer than they are useful
but at the same time I think we need to be mindful of the responsibility of
being a standards organization as well. Where the Copy Service (5108.04) was
only published two years ago, it means that MFD devices that might want to
claim compliance with the specification will likely be very new devices that
have recently entered the market. I don't think that deprecating the
specification by publishing the SM 2.0 specification (all the good aspects
of version 1.0 with potentially some corrections and/or enhanced
functionality to reach version 2.0) is going to upset any vendors who have
expended resources to implement compliance with the Copy Service 1.0
specification.

On the other hand, should we ultimately decide to remove the Copy Service
from the model as part of publishing SM 2.0, I would imagine that vendors
who have expended effort to become compliant with a PWG specification (Copy
Service 1.0) that in a short time lost its relevance might wonder whether
the effort they expended to conform with a PWG specification that
disappeared so quickly was warranted. By extension, this could quickly
become an investigation into whether conforming to any PWG standards was
warranted.

For this reason, I think that it was useful for Pete to bring this element
into the discussion for further consideration as we continue with the SM 2.0
project.

Best Regards,

/Paul

--