PMP> Next PMP Conference Call

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Tue Mar 4 20:58:49 EST 1997

     I apologize for missing what probably was stated, but is the intent to
     finalize the excellent list of 'interesting' printer states (as
     supplemented by others), or to agree on all of the values associated
     with each state?

     Further, assuming even that we are just finalizing the 'states', is it
     implicit that compliance will require a printer to discern such
     'states'? For example, I would regard Initial Power Up as a 'mute'
     state in may cases simply because the printer can initialize before
     the network interface sorts out who it is, where it is, does its
     advertising, gets stacks built, and services the SNMP request.

     Finally, I again suggest that the MIB walk analysis must include the
     results of the referenced sections of MIB-II, unless of course we have
     decided that the requirement for these groups is not necessary in the
     printer MIB. Indeed, the argument that the Systems Group objects may
     belong to some (real) host system and not to the printer may also be
     applied to the Interface Group. How is one to distinguish between an
     interface on the host system and an interface on the printer.
     Alternatively, the main thing the printer needs is an identification
     of the interface for reference to channel and potentially job
     information; for printer management, there seems to be little need
     (and in some cases, little applicability) to the rest of the
     parameters in the interface table. There are several things involved
     here, including the handling of local interfaces on the printer, the
     handling of multiple NIC's, the coding used for interface types not
     identified in MIB-II, and the degree of support for the various
     parameters in the interface table. Also, although it is independent of
     the printer MIB per se, there should be some understanding of need to
     which a well designed interface node (in the printer or external to
     it) should support the entire (current) MIB-II. I believe this is
     necessary because, to the extent that we say certain groups are
     necessary, it is inferred that the unlisted groups need not be
     supported.

     (Sorry to be so long winded about this, but it is an area that I have
     substantial difference in implementation)

     BTW, I have spent a little time on the wording of the
     prtInterpreterFeedAddressability (and XFeedAddressibility), relying
     upon memory of the discussions. What I do not remember however is what
     anyone is going to use these values for. Considering that the tested
     MIB implementations (I think) either misunderstood what was wanted or
     put in a nominal value, is it going to be used for anything?

     Bill Wagner Osicom/DPI