PMP> MIB-2 reference in Printer MIB

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Tue Mar 11 20:36:15 EST 1997

     Harry,

     You may recall that I did submit a much more involved description of
     the way the MIB-2 and HR MIB groups  interact with the printer MIB.
     There was very little discussion about it (although it did not get
     into the Internet draft). And I don't think I am suggesting sweeping
     changes. I am merely reflecting that fact that the printer MIB does
     not call out the inclusion of MIB-2 (the RFC does, not the MIB), that
     the interoperability group did not think that implementation of MIB-2
     objects was germane to the interoperability test, and that the values
     become open to interpretation in any case other than the simple
     printer with one network interface.

     It seems that you were was the one who pushed (quite correctly) the
     use of HR MIB objects in place of the MIB-2 systems group, and
     campaigned for additional identification information in the printer
     MIB general group. The effect was to disassociate the Systems group
     from the printer.

     And it also seems to me that you had several questions of how the
     interfaces group was to be handled, in the particular case of multiple
     NIC's. Indeed, I was very interested in how the interfaces table was
     handled. Were local interfaces also listed? Were the full set of
     rapidly varying objects for every interface available at every network
     interface? Why?  Did you synchronize sysUpTime between the multiple
     interfaces? What if one interface were reset? These are just some of
     the things that are not clear. What of the 'brick' case? Are the
     interfaces of the brick or of the printers to which the 'brick'
     interfaces are attached? Or are both listed? How does one associate
     one of the many interfaces that could be listed with a given printer?
     Through the channel table? It seems undefined and at best contorted.

     From Jay's note, it was unclear that I was proposing that the
     interface type (interface enum), identification (e.g., MAC or IP
     address, depending on the level of the interface) and perhaps index be
     included in the Channel Information field. If the definition of
     ChannelIFIndex can be changed, it can go there. The advantage is that
     the necessary information to connect to a channel is thereby provided
     in the channel table. For all channels to the specific printer and
     only to that printer. I suggest that this might even help clarify the
     much abused channel group.

     The change has no effect on the MIB except for changing the meaning of
     the ChannelIFIndex and adding some information to the newly defined
     ChannelInformation object.

     Certainly, there would be nothing to prevent a full MIB-II from also
     being implemented for the printer system.