Gail Songer Gail.Songer at eng.efi.com
Mon Apr 21 16:53:16 EDT 1997

Lloyd,

I would be happy to add definitions for these words to the FAQ page, but I
don't beleive that we  came up with definitions with which the group was happy.
Going back through the discussion, I found the following definitions.  Comments
on what the FAQ should actually say?

My initial attempt:

A "door" is something that protects the mechanical insides of a device.

An "interlock" connects two components of a device or two devices.  An example
of an interlock is mechanical latch on an optional sorter that connects the
base printer with the sorter.

Don Wright replied:

I would define an interlock as:

A switch or sensor used to stop operation of the device due to the
opening of a door, cover or other component of the device in order
to prevent injury to a human or improper operation of the device.

Bill Wager:

    " Cover or Door: The covering to an opening in the printer enclosure
     which may be removed or opened to provide access to an area or object
     within the printer. A Cover or door open condition may be sensed; if
     sensed, the cover open condition may act as an interlock with to
     inhibit printer processes or operations which should not be performed
     with the cover open."

     I would say that an interlock involves sensing a condition as a
     prerequisite to allowing some printer operation which might involve
     danger, damage, or even just deteriorated  quality if the required
     condition is not met. An interlock condition could be that a
     particular door were closed. But it does not have to be an open door
     or even a mechanical irregularity. Some printers would use a toner out
     indication to inhibit further printing. This, to me, is also an
     interlock since there was no inherent reason why the imaging process
     could not be performed. I would even regard a operator's key provision
     as an interlock if the key must be in place to print.