McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Mar 21 17:58:42 EST 2000

Hi folks,

RFC 2790 - Host Resources MIB v2 (March 2000)
- IETF Draft Standard status

This was posted last week (14 March 2000) but got past
me until it showed up in the RFC Index today.

So now it's time to get on with Printer MIB v2.

I urge that we fold the text of Finisher MIB into the
Printer MIB v2 text (after all it completes the model
in original Printer MIB, RFC 1759, March 1995) and
NOT publish Finisher MIB as a separate RFC.

I also urge that we press on as quickly as possible
with publishing a definitive text for Printer MIB v2
(with the approved additions from July 1999 for new
generic alerts and 'chIPP' specification) and move it
to PMP WG last call and send it onward for IESG last
call.  More than one vendor has already shipped a
product with Printer MIB v2 new objects implemented.

Remember that since the bar is now *very* high for
advancement to Draft Standard, the Printer MIB v2
MUST be published at Proposed Standard and convincing
proof of interoperable implementations of EVERY object
and object group must be presented to the IESG and
publicly posted before we can request movement to
Draft Standard status.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Sharp Labs America
  High North Inc