Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Mar 23 14:28:39 EST 2000

Ron,

I'm sorry that I have objected to the TC and enum name changes between
Printer MIBv1 and v2 on the mailing list as you indicated in your mail note.
I was letting our Xerox implementers do the objecting which they have done
over the past six months (see attached) and before.

Xerox implementers have been strongly objecting to the name changes for a
long time.  They break client and printer implementations of V1.  Both
client and server code has to be changed in order to compile with the new v2
MIB.

See last August mail attached and there is some that goes back two years.

I think that some of us (including me) thought it was ok to change symbol
names, since it didn't affect the over the wire protocol.  However, such
name changes do affect client and server code compiling with the MIB, which
is standard implementation practice.

Please change them back to agree with Printer MIB v1.  Its fine to introduce
TCs in V2 that didn't have TCs in V1, but don't change the names of any V1
TCs.  Same for enums.

Thanks,
Tom