PMP> Re: Print MIB 09

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 12 11:58:46 EST 2001

I agree this is the best approach due to the pre-existing (high) level of
interoperability.
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems

Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
11/12/2001 08:08 AM

        To:     schoenw at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
        cc:     bwijnen at lucent.com, Ron.Bergman at Hitachi-hkis.com, dbh at enterasys.com,
bwijnen at lucent.com, imcdonald at sharplabs.com, Harry
Lewis/Boulder/IBM at IBMUS, rcasterline at crt.xerox.com, pmp at pwg.org,
paf at cisco.com, ned.freed at mrochek.com
        Subject:        Re: Print MIB 09

Juergen> Another option that just came to my mind would be to
Juergen> introduce a new accessible-for-notify object which holds the
Juergen> prtAlertIndex value for a given notification and replaces
Juergen> prtAlertIndex in the printerV2Alert notification.

Sorry, this does not work as the new object would have a different
OID. So forget about it.

So I go back to my original position: Keep the notification as it is.
Add a comment saying that the notification definition does not
strictly comply to SMIv2 rules and that a proper fix (deprecating the
notification and definition of a new notification) is considered too
costly since fielded implementations interoperate just fine with the
current definition.

/js