PMP> RE: Print MIB 09

McDonald, Ira IMcDonald at crt.xerox.com
Wed Nov 14 11:43:32 EST 2001

Hi Juergen,

This is a tough question.  For six years now every Xerox product has
shipped with 'prtAlertIndex' at 'read-only' to preserve the content
of the notification.  I have seen this done at several other printer
vendors.  To date, there is no identified shipping implementation
that leaves 'prtAlertIndex' at 'not-accessible' (that was only one
of several compile errors in the RFC 1759 text - I've never seen a
compiler that would accept RFC 1759 unmodified, but I suppose it's
possible).

Our WG concensus to change the published version to 'read-only' is
in order to align with all known shipping implementations (who all
did it by hand-edit themselves).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox
  High North