PMP> RE: question about the printer mib

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Feb 20 16:03:07 EST 2002

Hi Juergen,

I agree with you that 'prtMarkerLifeCount' SHOULD be persistent.
And that's what RFC 1759 (Printer MIB v1) said in the same words
used in the latest Printer MIB v2 draft, but in section 2.3, not
in the object definition itself.

Back in 1994, the chance that a low-end printer might have trouble
supporting persistent counters was probably much higher.

I would suggest that you may actually safely assume that the
'prtMarkerLifeCount' _is_ persistent, because I've never heard
of a modern printer where it is not persistent.

Should we improve the DESCRIPTION clause of 'prtMarkerLifeCount'
to explicitly add something like:

   "Note:  This object SHOULD be implemented as a persistent
    object with a reliable value throughout the lifetime of
    the printer."

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2