PMP> IANA Charset MIB (for Printer MIB v2)

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Mon Aug 5 18:33:54 EDT 2002

Copies: Printer MIB Working Group <pmp at pwg.org>
        Bert Wijnen <bwijnen at lucent.com>
        Ned Freed <ned.freed at mrochek.com>
        Patrik Faltstrom <paf at cisco.com>
        Dave Harrington <dbh at enterasys.com>
        Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
        Harald Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no>
        Harry Lewis <harryl at us.ibm.com>
        Ira McDonald <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>

Hi folks,                                         Monday (5 August 2002)

I've just sent the first version of 'IANA Charset MIB' to the
Internet-Drafts editor and posted a copy on the PWG server in the
directory 'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/drafts/' in the file:

    <draft-mcdonald-iana-charset-mib-00.txt> (August 2002)

This IANA Charset MIB is required for compilation of the Printer MIB v2
<draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-12.txt>, published separately.

The ASN.1 for the IANA Charset MIB is machine-generated with the utility
posted in 'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/tools/' in the files:

    ianachar.c   (C language source)
    ianachar.dat (template file for IANA Charset MIB w/ boilerplate)
    ianachar.exe (DOS/Windows executable from 'ianachar.c')

This IANA Charset MIB was developed at the suggestion of Bert Wijnen,
with the concurrence (by email) of Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (editor of IANA Charset MIB)
  High North Inc
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com

Copies: Internet Drafts Editor <internet-drafts at ietf.org>
        Ron Bergman <rbergma at hitachi-hkis.com>
        Ira McDonald <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>

I-D Editor,                                       Monday (5 August 2002)

Please place this document in the Internet-Drafts repository named:

    <draft-mcdonald-iana-charset-mib-00.txt>

This document is required for compilation of the Printer MIB v2
<draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-12.txt>, published separately.

Abstract

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it defines a single textual convention 'CodedCharSet'
   that may be used to specify charset labels in MIB objects, for
   example 'prtLocalizationCharacterSet' in Printer MIB v2 (RFC nnnn).
   'CodedCharSet' was originally defined in Printer MIB v1 (RFC 1759).

Thanks very much,
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com