McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Dec 7 21:02:48 EST 2005

Hi Kevin,

Simple color page counts have been in Printer MIB since v1 (RFC 1759).

The defacto standard method (implemented in quite a few network
printers) is to model the marker as _two_ rows in 'prtMarkerTable':

- set 'prtMarkerCounterUnit' to 'impressions(7)' (single page sides) or
  'sheets(8)' (single- or two-sided pages);

- set color process elements:
  'prtMarkerProcessColorants' to '1' and 'prtMarkerSpotColorants' to '0'
  (monochrome, but not necessarily black ink) or
  'prtMarkerProcessColorants' to '1' and 'prtMarkerSpotColorants' to '1'
  (highlight color) or
  'prtMarkerProcessColorants' to '>=3' and 'prtMarkerSpotColorants to '0'
  (full color)

- use 'prtMarkerLifeCount' (non-volatile) and 'prtMarkerPowerOnCount'
  (resets on system reboot) to count mono, highlight, or full color.

This works fine for simple color counts.

Cheers,
- Ira (co-editor of Printer MIB v2)

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839