Wijnen, Bert (Bert) bwijnen at lucent.com
Thu Mar 10 14:53:01 EST 2005

Inline

Then it makes sense. Migth add a comment about that so that
a novice (not as much involved) reader understands

> Several years ago, the SNMPv3 WG wasted a lot of time finding
> out that using non-ASCII strings in community names mostly
> broke existing SNMP libraries - I could certainly change
> that one - the 'ppmPortSnmpCommunityName' object was from
> the original Microsoft request - these printers and external
> network adapters are all running SNMPv1 with no security,
> but they seem to use a different read community name for
> each printer port - we can't really throw out the Microsoft
> requirements, because they're the motivating force for the
> MIB.

Well, there maybe broken SNMP implementation that only accept ASCII for
community string. But I think you are now swinging the other way to
not accept compliant SNMP implementations that DO accept non-ascii
charatcers in community string.

In any event, I find continued use of community string very scary.
Too much opportunity for people to break in.

> I agree with your suggestion about SnmpAdminString.  I was
> following the usage in the just-published Printer MIB v2
> (RFC 3805) where we were told to use a dedicated TC whose
> semantics were that a specific SNMP object contained the
> language tag (same as here).  Should we change these fields
> to SnmpAdminString?

I just posted what I noticed. I cannot mandate use of SnmpAdminString.
As long as you do things consciously and as long as they are not
broken, then it is you (and your group) who decides.

> We'll probably accept your comments as Last Call comments,
> because we're on a short fuse to start our PWG Last Call.

OK

Bert