PMP> PortMon Mib question

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Jun 28 12:26:09 EDT 2005

Hi Jerry,

I think we should change to 1023 octets for 'ppmPortIEEEDeviceID'
with normative 'intelligent truncation' rules (strip whole key/value
pairs) stated in the object and its OBJECT clause back in the
MODULE-COMPLIANCE macro.

Justification appears in the following note from the latest IETF
"Guidelines for Authors and Reviewers of MIB Documents", page 34:

  "Note 2.  DisplayString does not support internationalized text.
            It MUST NOT be used for objects that are required to
            hold internationalized text (which is always the case
            if the object is intended for use by humans [RFC2277]).
            Designers SHOULD consider using SnmpAdminString,
            Utf8String, or LongUtf8String for such objects."

SnmpAdminString (which we have been using per Bert Wijnen) is defined
in the SNMP Framework MIB (RFC 3411), but is _limited_ to 255 octets.

LongUtf8String is defined in the System Application MIB (RFC2287)
and is limited to 1024 octets (but IPP/1.1 limits strings to 1023,
so for PWG Semantic Model coherence we should use 1023).

I don't like importing from RFC 2287.  I suggest make this one object
plain ASN.1 'OCTET STRING' and constrain it in the DESCRIPTION clause
to UTF-8 (with max length 1023 octets and an OBJECT clause allowing
support for only 255 octets).

Comments?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839