McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Jul 31 13:42:01 EDT 2005

Hi Bert,

You're right of course.  We haven't before wrestled with OID
assignment by the PWG for MIBs.  In fact only the IEEE-ISTO PWG
Secretary (currently Jerry Thrasher of Lexmark) has the authority
to assign/approve the base MIB arc when the Candidate Standard
is published.

In the future, we'll adopt the 'nnnn -- to be assigned by PWG'
approach.  Of course, when we have a prototyping interop test,
we'll have to choose _something_ for an experimental number
(for documents still in working drafts stage).

What do the IETF chartered working groups do during development?
Do they very use 'experimental' for this?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434