PWG-ANNOUNCE> OpenPrinting WG is standardizing Linux Printing interfaces

NorbertSchade at oaktech.com NorbertSchade at oaktech.com
Mon Aug 19 17:43:39 EDT 2002

Tom,
I think some statements in your email were a bit hasty.

This Linux group is facing a wide variety of challenges the UPDF group is
working on seriously for some time. For those who do not know: UPDF is a
group within the PWG devoted to solve challenges closely related to printer
drivers on the host.
IBM is working heavily on a UPDF solution under Linux and it could well be
that some sections of the projects of those OpenPrinting guys and of UPDF
merge into a common direction.
So it is fair to say that IBM is involved in the PWG as well as the
freestandards.org. Mark Hamzy is one of the representatives in both groups
and a leading developer on IBM's Linux solution. Jim Sommer and I try to
help him as good as we can. Although we are not sitting in the front row,
we contribute to their effort for some time. As a matter of fact, even in
Portland we were working on some details to help them making some further
progress.

Regards
Norbert Schade

                    "Hastings, Tom N"
                    <hastings at cp10.es.        To:     pwg-announce at pwg.org
                    xerox.com>                cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     PWG-ANNOUNCE> OpenPrinting WG is standardizing Linux Printing interfaces
                    owner-pwg-announce
                    @pwg.org

                    08/19/2002 04:25
                    PM

The Free Standards Group (http://www.freestandards.org/) has approved the
formation of the OpenPrinting WG to develop APIs for printing. (Actually,
the WG has been working on specifications since the Fall of 2001).

The OpenPrinting WG web site says: "Standardizing on a Scalable Print
Environment in Linux".  However, some of the documents are intended to
cover
more than just Linux.

The website for the OpenPrinting WG is currently:
www.freestandards.org/openprinting
However, a notice says:

*** This website is a temporary location for the OpenPrinting. Please stay
connected to
www.freestandards.org/openprinting or www.openprinting.com or
www.openprinting.org
to get to the eventual site. ***

The website shows the following task groups and documents:

Current Task Groups:

Job Capabilities
  Draft v1
  Jobsets diagram
Print Driver
  TBD
Discover
  TBD
Job Ticketing
  TBD
Spooler
  IPP Object Attributes
  API Definition v0.4

Mission Statement

The goal of the OpenPrinting WG is to develop and promote a set of
standards
that will address the needs of desktop to enterprise-ready printing,
including management, reliability, security, scalability, printer feature
access and network accessibility.

My observations:

There are a number of companies involved in the OpenPrinting WG that are
also PWG members (Epson, HP, IBM, Sharp, and Xerox).  However, Ira
McDonald,
Peter Zehler, and I are the only individuals that participates in both
groups.  Some of the participants are familiar with IPP, some are not.
I've
indicated that the PWG Semantic model is intended to help harmonize
semantics across various printing standards, such as the ones that the
OpenPrinting WG is working on.  In particular, the OpenPrinting WG Job
Ticket API, Print API (Spooler Task Group), and Capabilities API and the
PWG
Semantic Model need to work closely together.  Shawn Pratt, the convenor
from HP, has encouraged the OpenPrinting WG participants to explore the
PWG.
In reciprocity, I encourage PWG individuals to participate in the FSG
OpenPrinting WG Task Groups and/or to contact the participants who are from
their own company.  The web site has a way to join each of the various Task
Group Lists and the "Visit Subscriber List" button lets you see who has
joined each list.

Temporarily, the OpenPrinting WG has been using the PWG FTP Server to store
documents at:  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/xxx
xxx=jobticket, spool, cap, architecture, general, and driver

Shawn Pratt is working to setup a document area on Source Forge at which
times the PWG sub-directories will no longer be used.

I also suggest an agenda item be added to the PWG meeting next week in
Santa
Fe to put up the OpenPrinting WG web page and make the PWG member aware of
the activities of the OpenPrinting WG.  You can see the state of their
documents on the PWG site.  I'll not be able to attend the meeting in Santa
Fe.  Peter Zehler will be there and can help with the communication.

Thanks,
Tom

The OpenPrinting WG holds regular Thursday 8-9 PST teleconferences, and the
individual Task Groups hold separate teleconference.  The jobticket API WG
has Tuesday 4-5 PST telecons.