PWG-ANNOUNCE> New Topic(s) to be discussed at Tokyo Plenary

PWG-ANNOUNCE> New Topic(s) to be discussed at Tokyo Plenary

PWG-ANNOUNCE> New Topic(s) to be discussed at Tokyo Plenary

Harry Lewis harryl at
Thu Apr 7 01:48:14 EDT 2005

Be advised that there are some new topics which will be introduced during
the FSG/PWG joint Plenary in Tokyo Wednesday afternoon. One or more of
these topics may result in a Wednesday evening BOF if enough interest is
expressed during the Plenary.

1. Projector Management BOF
  - It has been observed that projector equipment manufactures (ex. LCD
projectors) are in a state similar to printer manufactures 10 years ago in
that several major projector makers use SNMP for device management but all
are using incompatible private MIBs. A standard MIB or, at least, common
semantics may be very helpful in the industry. The PWG would be expanding
its role into a broader set of "imaging" solutions if we were to host this

2. MFD Security Model. One PWG member has express a desire to introduce
MFD Security Model concepts. Since the IEEE P2600 has been working in this
area we will want to assure the PWG does not embark on a redundant effort.
There may be elements of a standards MFD security model which are
complimentary to P2600 and/or which belong in the PWG, however.

3. PWG Semantic Model / DMTF CIM mapping. We have been circling the wagons
around this work effort but no one has built a campfire yet. Need to
evaluate motive, requirements, resources, anticipated benefits etc and
develop an action plan

4. Print Number (see Camas minutes
.) The Print Number team (from China) indicated they may attend Tokyo but
I haven't heard from them recently. We will add this to the (BOF) agenda
if someone from Print Number attends.

If you are interested in any of these topics I strongly encourage your
participating in the Plenary and ask you to consider the potential for an
evening BOF Wednesday April 13 in Tokyo.
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems