[Pwg-Announce] PWG Prototyping Policy posted

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Oct 29 12:24:50 UTC 2012

All,

I have just posted a clarifying policy document for PWG Prototyping to:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/process/pwg-prototype-policy-20121029.txt

Historically the PWG has relied upon implementers to post a message to the corresponding working group list, present slides at a PWG face-to-face meeting, or post a public implementation of some sort to document the existence of a prototype.  However, since many companies are hesitant to publicly announce this information, we may not be seeing the full breadth of prototyping that happens for PWG standards, and in some cases the lack of prototype disclosures has caused delays for standards in development.

This policy formalizes our previous informal notification policy for prototypes of our standards and adds a new process that allows interested (but shy) implementers to report their prototyping to the PWG anonymously.

This policy was generated and reviewed by the PWG steering committee.

believed to be clean.