Was the PWG Bake-Off a Success or Failure?

Binnur Al-Kazily binnur at hpb15650.boi.hp.com
Tue Aug 6 17:36:00 EDT 1996

> This are the rezults of testing  3 of the MIB variables that we
> consider importants for describing the status of the printer. I
> have take this 3 variables because I imagined to be some problems.

Ovidiu,

Thank you very much for your efforts.. It is much appreciated..

Looking at the results of the error codes, I have noticed that the
biggest problem comes from interpretation of what is down and what is
warning.. As an example, most manufactures have implemented the
hrDeviceStatus code for door open as down(5), while one manufacturer have
shown it as warning(3). Offline is another example where it was either
interpreted incorrectly, or not shown at all (Tektronix and Kyocera, any
reasons for this??)

Looking at the Printer MIB section on overall printer status, these codes
have been documented, and codes for the hrPrinterDetectedErrorState is
shown in the Host Resources MIB.. It would be possible (not sure how
useful) to extend the section 2.2.13.2, and add more detailed examples on
how to code hrDeviceStatus, hrPrinterStatus and
hrPrinterDetectedErrorState for different errors that could occur in the
printer.. I think the other issue is we need to make the readers aware of
the importance of this section in the documentation, since some of the
codes are already shown in the table, yet the implementer most likely did
not see/read/referenced it.

Are there any comments, ideas, suggestions, etc. to insure
interoperability next time around?? Also, if there are any concerns on
other areas in the Printer MIB where the interoperability should be
shown, this is the time to share it..

 ---
Binnur Al-Kazily    Hewlett-Packard Company    Integrated Network
Solutions
binnur at boi.hp.com       (208)396-6372             KB7WYD    DoD #2010