geoff geoff at paypc.com
Sun Dec 1 01:42:43 EST 1996

<snip>
> From: fv96-pjo at nada.kth.se (Patrik Johansson)
> Newsgroups: alt.security
> Subject: *** Unprotected printers - a security risk?

Good points, Patrik, to say nothing about consumption of paper media (ie
defensive, pro-active accounting controls) by people you don't want to
print (an even bgger problem with internet printing) This was proposed to
the "experts" who feel that it is not needed, even though buildings,
photocopiers, cars and most other things have some kind of access
control.  This formally proposed as part of the IETF MIB for the new
generation of printers but failed for reasons that are not quite clear.

The same goes for packet sniffing the data going to the printer for
industrial espionage and for printers that have special media (colour or
cheque printer). All of these are ignored, despite common requests.

HP added a simple password for Telnet but this is not enough IMHO. This
will continue thanks to the efforts of printer manufactuer marketing
departments who want to ensure they don't do anything that might add value
to their products and give them a market advantage. Innovation is clearly
frowned upon, especialy with the strong NIH (NOT INVENTED HERE) mentality
as are posts of this nature, being regarded as "unprofessional" (whatever
that means).

I would not worry about the printers being permanentlt mucked up because
most are hard burned with OTP's, but constant administration of the
(altered) settings is a time wasting and costly activity.

geoff slater